Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Yam with Garlic

I like yam and I had not eaten it for a very long time. Every vegetable shop I go to in Chennai, has yam, so I decided to buy some. I remember my mom making a very tasty yam dish, so I called her up and asked her how to make it. In this recipe we use kalo jeere, which is an important ingredient in Bengali dishes. It is better know as kalaunji or nigella seeds Ingredients:
Yam: 250 gms
Garlic: 5-6 flakes
Kalo jeere/kalaunji/nigella seeds: 1 tsp
Red Chilli: 2 torn in bits
Turmeric powder: a pinch
Salt: as required
Method:
1. Pressure cook the peeled, cut, cleaned yam without salt.
2. After it has cooled, mash it nicely.
3. In hot oil, add the kalo jeere, torn red chillies and garlic and saute them.
4. Add the mashed yam and mix well.
5. Add the salt and the turmeric powder.
6. Cook a bit and no water should be added.

No comments:

Post a Comment