Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mallai Chingri (Prawns in Coconut Milk)

This dish has been a childhood favourite. My sister and I love the way mom cooks it. I tried to make it my way, but it was not that good. Finally I asked my ma for the recipe and I made it. Even my baby loved it. This is again a Bengali dish and I think most of the Bengalis love it. I have not put the amount for the ingredients as it depends on the quantity of the prawns.
Ingredients:
Prawns (big medium or small)
Potato
Onion
Tomato
Coconut milk
Ginger
Garlic
Turmeric Powder
Red Chilli powder
Salt
Garam Masala powder (cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, cardamon)
Method:
1. Wash, peel and devein the prawns. Chop the onions, tomatoes, ginger and garlic.
2. In the hot oil, first add the ginger and garlic and fry for a minute.
3. Then add the onion and fry a bit more.
4. Next add the tomato. Fry a bit and then add the salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Fry till the smell of onion disappears.
5. Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
6. When it starts to boil, add the prawns.
7. Cover and cook on medium flame, till the prawns are soft.
8. Just 2 minutes before turning it off, add the garam masala powder and let it simmer.
This is best eaten with steamed rice.

3 comments:

  1. Hi the prawn curry in coconut milk is really yum! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rightly said....tis indeed the favorite of all Bongs, everywhere. Without fail. Preceded only by the eelish or hilsa, and maybe the bhetki macher patudi.

    When it was last that I feasted upong this marvelous dish? Ah wait...when I visited Ma. Chingri! Chingri Chingri!

    Didi..make a batch of bong style garam masala and paanch phodon and put it up please. So I can finally get the right smell. Mummywallah smell of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shreya, thanks for your comment and for stopping by my blog.
    Paula, come here fast. Will make you some. And will post paanch phodon stuff as well.

    ReplyDelete