Yesterday I was wondering snack to give my 3 year old boy before he goes cycling, so I decided to go through a few blogs to get ideas. I found Rawa Idli in Suma's Cusine. I had heard of it, but never tasted it. It looked very simple to make, and the best part of it was that I had all the ingredients. Only thing I did not add from the recipe was the cashewnuts because my boy does not like them. The whole thing did not look as wonderful as hers did, but my son and my husband loved it. Here I have posted the recipe without the cashew nuts and the chillies. It is the same as Suma's. Thanks Suma.
Rawa: 1 cup
Curd: 1/2 cup
Water: 1/2 cup
Onion: 1 medium chopped
Carrot: 1 big grated
Ginger: 1 tsp grated
Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
Channa dal: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Curry Leaves: a few
Oil: a bit
Salt: as per taste
1) Heat oil. Add mustard seeds. When they start spluttering, add channa and urad dal and fry till they turn brown. Then add the curry leaves, ginger, carrot and the onion. Fry for some time.
2) Add the rawa to this and let it roast for sometime.
3) Transfer the contents in a bowl and let it cool.
4) Add the curd, water and salt, and mix well. There should be no lumps. It should be of the same consistency as normal idli batter.
5) Grease the idli tray with oil. Spoon the mixture into this and
steam on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.