This is a typical Bengali recipe. Many people like it, and many don't because many people don't like fish head. I learnt this recipe from my mother. It takes time to make this dish. Made best with Head of Hilsa fish, but can also be made by Rohu or Katla
Cabbage 1/2 kg
Fish head 1 big
Onion 1 (optional)
Potato 1 (optional)
Green Chilly 2
Bay Leaves 2-3
Red Chilly 2-3
Cumin seeds a pinch
Red Chilly Powder
Garam Masala (Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Cloves and Cardamon ground together)
1. Sprinkle turmeric powder on the fish head and keep aside.
2. Meanwhile cut the cabbage, chop the onion and tomato. Dice the potato, slit the green chilly and make a paste of cumin, coriander, turmeric and red chilly powders with a bit of water.
3. Fry the fish heads till the fishy smell disappears. Break them in small pieces. Keep aside.
4. In hot oil, drop the bay leaves and the red chillies.
5 When they thurn dark, add the cumin seeds.
6. When the cumin seeds stsrt to splutter, add the potatoes. Fry lightly.
7. Then add the onions and fry till they lose their colour.
8. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
9. When the whole thing looks a bit cooked, add the spice paste and salt.
10. Then add the cabbage and cook covered.
11. When the cabbage is semi cooked, add the fish heads and mix well.
12. Cover and cook on medium flame.
13. Add the garam masala and cook for 2 more minutes.