Thursday, September 29, 2011

Besan Halwa

Every evening I keep wondering what snack to make for my boys before they go to play. I was looking around for something new, and I came across Besan Halwa. It was something I have not tried before and it looked very easy to make to. And the best part is that my boys loved it.
Ingredients:
1 cup Besan (Bengal gram flour)
3/4 cup Ghee
1 cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Water (approximately)

Method:
1.Heat water and milk in a pan. Stir in cardamom powder. Set aside.

2.Heat ghee in a shallow frying pan. Add besan and roast in the ghee for 10 minutes, or until it smells nutty and fragrant.
3.Add the sugar and stir. Pour in the milk mixture gradually. Keep stirring to avoid lumps. Add water as needed. Cook the mixture for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring frequently till the halwa pulls away from the sides of the pan.
4.Serve hot, or spread the mixture into a rimmed plate and allow to cool. Cut into squares and serve.

1 comment: