Friday, October 24, 2008

Fish Rice

I am back. After a very long time. Today I made Fish Rice, something my mom used to cook when we were kids, so I decided to post the recipe. My mom used to make this dish with Tuna tins. Unfortunately I did not find a single tin, so I had to make do with Katla Fish. It tastes just the same. I made this dish because my boy was bored of eating the same kind of food everyday. This can be made with veggies or without them. This can be eaten just as it is, or with dal, pickle or papad.

Ingredients:

  • Fish (I used Katla/Rohu): 500 gms
  • Black pepper: 2-3
  • Cinnamon: 1 inch
  • Onion: 1 (sliced)
  • Garlic: 5-6 flakes (chopped)
  • Carrot: 1 (diced)
  • Beans: 100 gms (diced)
  • Green Peas: 1/2 cup
  • Potato: 1 (diced)
  • Egg: 1 (boiled and chopped)
  • Lemon: 1
  • Garam Masala Powder (cloves, cinnamon, cardamon and black pepper): 1 tsp
  • Parsley
  • Rice: 2 cups
  • Butter
  • Oil
  • Salt

Method:

  1. Pressure cook the fish with black pepper and cinnamon. I added the black pepper and the cinnamon to get rid of the fishy smell.
  2. De bone the pieces and flake them.
  3. Soak the rice for an hour.
  4. Steam the veggies.
  5. Melt butter and saute the rice in it. Add the fish stock and extra water if needed, the required salt, a bit of oil and the parsley. Cover and cook till done.
  6. Saute the garlic, onion and the veggies. Add to the rice.
  7. Add the fish to the rice.
  8. Squeeze the whole lemon.
  9. Add the egg.
  10. Sprinkle the garam masala powder.
  11. Mix properly.
  12. Cover it and cook on a low flame for 5-8 mins.
  13. Severe hot.

  14. I am sending this dish for the Rice Mela hosted by Srivalli. Hope it is a valid entry.

6 comments:

  1. Fish rice is something new!Good to have you back and posting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you and your family a very "HAPPY DIWALI" sanhita.Your son looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WISHING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY A VERY HAPPY & PROSPEROUS DIWALI ......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really yummy recipe Sanhita...wish you a very Happy Diwali!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ehmm..looks good Sanhita..thanks for sending it across!

    ReplyDelete